Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A day to remember

This was my day. A day I cannot forget because it was my birthday. But more so because, it was this day that over the last few years, I have felt the painful pangs of a loved one gone far. My child left the city every year this day to study at another, and one question that came back to my mind on each of these evenings - am I doing the right thing?

I heard of other young parents who had toddlers crying on this day when the schools opened for another academic year. Also heard of other parents who are keen to see their children off to school proudly displaying all the new stuff they have. But what about the many children who do not think of a school as they belonged to, or give a thought to parents who would like to see their child in school but the school is not accessible or too far. I am really blessed to see my teen opting to go far for study and be able to afford it.

By the way, this day is also World Day Against Child Labour. And child labour was the topic that struck a chord in my heart to feel for the disadvantaged class and gave me the courage to make a big move in life. Talking of child labour also made me realize that it is children who rise to the occasion more easily and normally than adults. Even as I grapple to get a hold on the programme that I support at my workplace to keep children in school, and the fact that child labour in my state is much higher in numbers, I wonder if children really want to stop working. The changing value in society for money earned (or money made?) is so deep and sound, we are made to believe that every disadvantage can be overcome with affordability.

As I return after dropping my child at the station and I know my day is coming to a close, I see an 8-year old rag-picking near a busy junction late in the evening when other children are ready for dinner after playing or are watching television with family, unaware of the loss of his rights and the joy of growing, only to make money for another meal may be !

1 comment: